I would like to welcome you to our Department of Computer Science in Chu Hai College of Higher Education. It is my pleasure to take this opportunity to introduce to you our Computer Science Program and some of its unique features.
- Our programme ” Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Computer Science ” is lauched in 2004. It aims at providing in-depth professional knowledge in the area of computer science, software development, network and computer system and internet system. The programme includes different technical electives which can provide most up to date IT knowledge such as artificial intelligence, computer visions, virtual reality, Data-mining and multi-media information systems.
- During the study period in our department, students will have opportunities to receive comprehensive training in the theory and practice of computer science and information technology. Starting from the learning of fundamental principles of computers, students are able to understand how computers function. With the help of software and hardware design concepts and theories, students are able to design software packages and network system for connecting computers to the internet.
- Our academic staff are well qualified with Doctoral or Master degrees from local and overseas universities. They all have research experiences in the field of neural networks, image processing, digital signal processing, control theories and artificial intelligence.
- Since theories have to be supported by actual implementation, our school’s computing facilities can enhance the learning experience of students.
- Our final year projects also provide opportunities to students for develop their problem solving abilities. Students will gain experience in designing and implementing practical computer software and hardware systems. As we value practical experience as an important form of training, our college is able to arrange internship programs for students to work in major companies locally.
I sincerely hope that you will have a good and fulfilling time in Chu Hai College of Higher Education.
Prof. Wai Lun LO
In response to the increasing demand for Information Technology professionals in Hong Kong, Chu Hai College has begun developing the Computer Centre as early as in October 1982, offering a 22-month diploma programme in Computer Science to secondary-school leavers. Besides being under the supervision of the Education Department of Hong Kong, the programme itself was endorsed by the Hong Kong Computer Society in early 1980’s. Academic quality as well as professional achievement has been proven by encouraging feedback from employers, parents and the graduates’ contribution and success in their fields. In the past 20 years, more than 1,600 diploma graduates, the fruit of our success, distributed in every corner of the world, have been making their efforts to promote information technology and they have been contributing to the prosperity and development of Hong Kong.
Taking account of the rapid development of IT and its influence on the development of high-value-added products and services, and having accumulated almost 50 years of operating post-secondary education experience and 14 years of professional IT training programme experience, our College made a right good start in providing a four-year degree programme in Computer Science since 1996 to offer more learning opportunities for secondary school graduates. Our degree programme has been accredited by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) since 2002, which is fully recognized by the Hong Kong Government. Our track record identifies that Chu Hai College of Higher Education has already provided a large number of learning opportunities to nurture young people and to strengthen the capacity of the community to exploit the opportunities of the digital world; our degree programme graduates help solve the shortage of IT manpower in Hong Kong and help produce some significant impact on the fast economic growth of Hong Kong. Furthermore, our College expects every one of its graduates to possess knowledge and virtues, broad-mindedness, commitment, global vision, creativity and adaptability.