RESEARCH AND SCHOLARSHIP
Selected Journal Publications
Wavelet, Multiwavelet and filterbank
- Tai-Chiu Hsung, Daniel Pak-Kong Lun, Yu-Hing Shum and K.C. Ho, “Generalized Discrete Multiwavelet Transform with Embedded Orthogonal Symmetric Prefilter Bank,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 55, no.12, Dec. 2007, pp.5619-5629.
- Tai-Chiu Hsung, Daniel Pak-Kong Lun and K.C. Ho, “Orthogonal symmetric prefilter banks for discrete multiwavelet transforms,” IEEE signal processing letters, vol. 13, no.3, Mar. 2006, pp.145-148.
- Tai-Chiu Hsung and Daniel P.K. Lun and Dominic K.C. Ho, “Optimizing the Multiwavelet Shrinkage Denoising,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 53, no. 1, Jan. 2005, pp.240-251.
- Tai-Chiu Hsung and Daniel P.K. Lun, “Generalized Cross Validation for Multiwavelet Shrinkage,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 11, no. 6, Jun. 2004, pp.549-552.
- Tai-Chiu Hsung and Daniel Pak-Kong Lun, “Optimal Thresholds for Multiwavelet Shrinkage,” IEE Electronics Letters, U.K., vol. 39, no. 5, Mar. 6, 2003, pp.473-474.
- Tai-Chiu Hsung, Man-Cheong Sun, Daniel Pak-Kong Lun and Wan-Chi Siu, “Symmetric prefilters for multiwavelets,” IEE Proceedings – Vision, Image and Signal Processing, U.K, vol. 150, no. 1, Feb. 2003, pp.59-68.
- Tai-Chiu Hsung and Daniel Pak-Kong Lun, “Boundary Filters Design for Multiwavelets,” IEE Proceedings – Vision, Image and Signal Processing, U.K., vol. 149, no. 4, pp.315-320, Oct. 2002.
- Tai-Chiu Hsung, Daniel Pak-Kong Lun and Wan-Chi Siu, “Denoising by singularity detection,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol 47, no. 11, pp. 3139-3144, 1999.
- Tai-Chiu Hsung, Daniel Pak-Kong Lun, and Wan-Chi Siu, “A Deblocking Technique for Block-Transform Compressed Image using Wavelet Transform Modulus Maxima,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 7, no. 10, pp.1488-1496, Oct. 1998.
- Tai-Chiu Hsung and Daniel Pak-Kong Lun, “Application of singularity detection for the deblocking of JPEG decoded images,” IEEE transactions on circuits and systems II (special issue on ISCAS), vol. 45, no. 5, pp.640-644, May 1998.
- Reinhard Chun Wang Chau, Ming Chong, Khaing Myat Thu, Nate Sing Po Chu, Mohamad Koohi-Moghadam, Richard Tai-Chiu Hsung, Colman McGrath, Walter Yu Hang Lam, “Artificial intelligence-designed single molar dental prostheses: a protocol of prospective experimental study,” PLoS ONE 17(6): e0268535. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0268535.
- Deepal Haresh Ajmera, Richard Tai-Chiu Hsung, Pradeep Singh, Natalie Sui Miu Wong, Andy Wai Kan Yeung, Walter Yu Hang Lam, Balvinder S. Khambay, Yiu Yan Leung, Min Gu, “Three-dimensional assessment of facial asymmetry in Class III subjects. Part 1: a retrospective study evaluating postsurgical outcomes,” Clinical Oral Investigations, Springer, (Accepted: 14 March 2022) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00784-022-04463-4
- Yu Pan, Caiyun Heng, Zhi-Jie Wu, Juliana Tam, Richard TC Hsung, Edmond HN Pow, Walter YH Lam, “Comparison of the virtual techniques in registering single implant position with a universal-coordinate system: An in vitro study,” Journal of Dentistry, Volume 117, 2022, 103925. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2021.103925
- Tai-Chiu Hsung, Andy W.K. Yeung, W.S. Choi, Henry W.K. Luk, Leo Y.Y. Cheng and Walter Y.H. Lam, “Recording Natural Head Position Using Cone Beam Computerized Tomography,” Sensors, vol. 21, no. 24, p. 8189, Dec. 2021. https://doi.org/10.3390/s21248189
- Kang-Gao Pang, Tai-Chiu Hsung, Guozhao Liao,Wing-Kuen Ling, Alex Ka-Wing Law and Winnie W.S. Choi, “Obstructive Sleep apnea Detection using Speech signals with High Frequency Components,” Journal of Communications, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 49-55, January 2022. Doi: 10.12720/jcm.17.1.49-55.
- Zhiyi Shan, Richard Tai-Chiu Hsung, Congyi Zhang, Juanjuan Ji, Wing Shan Choi, Wenping Wang, Yanqi Yang, Min Gu and Balvinder S. Khambay, “Anthropometric accuracy of three-dimensional average faces compared to conventional facial measurements,” Science Report, 11, 12254 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-91579-4
- F. Hung, L.L. Hui, A.W.K. Yeung, Y.Q. Wu, T.C. Hsung, M.M. Bornstein, “A volumetric analysis of mucous retention cysts in the maxillary sinus: a retrospective study using cone beam computed tomography (CBCT),” Imaging Science in Duentistry, v.51, pp. e16, 2021.
- Yang Zheng, Hong Fu, Ruimin Li, Tai-Chiu Hsung, Zongxi Song, Desheng Wen, “Deep neural network oriented evolutionary parametric eye modeling,” Pattern Recognition, 2020, 107755, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patcog.2020.107755.
- Jing Li, Zhong Shen, Wen Yu Tian Xu, Walter Yu Hang Lam, Richard Tai Chiu Hsung, Edmond Ho Nang Pow, Kazuhiro Kosuge, Zheng Wang, “A Compact Dental Robotic System Using Soft Bracing Technique,” IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 1271-1278, April 2019. doi: 10.1109/LRA.2019.2894864
- S. Khambay, C.J. Lowney, T.-C. Hsung, D.O. Morris, “Fluctuating asymmetry of dynamic smiles in normal individuals,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, October 2019, Volume 48, Issue 10, Pages 1372–1379. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijom.2019.01.032
- Zhu S, Keeling A, Hsung TC, Yang Y, Khambay B, “The difference between registered Natural Head Position and Estimated Natural Head Position in three dimensions,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2017, Volume 47, Issue 2, 2018, Pages 276-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijom.2017.07.016.
- Tai-Chiu Hsung, John Lo, Mei-Man Chong, Tazuko K. Goto and Lim-Kwong Cheung, “Orbit Segmentation by Surface Reconstruction with Efficient Sliced Vertex Screening,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 828-838, April 2018. doi: 10.1109/TBME.2017.2720184
- Walter Y.H. Lam, Richard T.C. Hsung, Winnie W.S. Choi, Henry W.K. Luk, Edmond H.N. Pow, “A clinical technique for virtual articulator mounting with natural head position using calibrated stereophotogrammetry,” The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry. Volume 119, Issue 6, June 2018, Pages 902-908. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2017.07.026.
- J. Lowney, T.C. Hsung, D.O. Morris and B.S. Khambay, “Quantitative dynamic analysis of the nasolabial complex using 3D motion capture: A normative data set,” Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery, Volume 71, Issue 9, September 2018, Pages 1332-1345, doi: 10.1016/j.bjps.2018.05.001
- Walter Y.H. Lam, Richard T.C. Hsung, Leo Y.Y. Cheng, Edmond H.N. Pow, “Mapping intraoral photographs on virtual teeth model,” Journal of Dentistry, Volume 79, December 2018, Pages 107-110, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdent.2018.09.009.
- Cheung, A. Almukhtar, A. Keeling, TC. Hsung, X. Ju, J. McDonald, A. Ayoub and B. Khambay, “The accuracy of conformation of a generic surface mesh for the analysis of facial soft tissue changes,” PLoS One 11(4): e0152381. April 19, 2016. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0152381
- Walter Y.H. Lam, Richard T.C. Hsung, Winnie W.S. Choi, Henry W.K. Luk, Edmond H.N. Pow, “A 2-part facebow for CAD-CAM dentistry,” The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, December 2016, Volume 116, Issue 6, Pages 843–847, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2016.05.013.
- Cze-yin Lin, Tai-Chiu Hsung, Balvinder Khambay, “Reducing conebeam CT scan height as a method of radiation reduction for photorealistic three-dimensional orthognathic planning,” Journal of Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery, Volume 43, Issue 6, July 2015, Pages 907-912, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcms.2015.04.002. ISSN 1010-5182
- Tai-Chiu Hsung, John Lo, Tik-Shun Li and Lim-Kwong Cheung, “Automatic detection and reproduction of Natural Head Position in stereo-photogrammetry”, PLoS ONE 10(6): e0130877. June 30, 2015. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0130877
- Tai-Chiu Hsung, John Lo, T.S. Li, L.K. Cheung, “Recording of natural head position using stereo-photogrammetry: A new technique and reliability study,” Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, vol. 72, issue 11, pp.2256–2261, Nov. 2014. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2014.03.025
Discrete Periodic Radon Transform
- Tai-Chiu Hsung, Daniel Pak-Kong Lun, and Wan-Chi Siu, “Reply to “Comments on ‘The Discrete Periodic Radon Transform'”,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 58, no.11, pp.5963-5964, 2010.
- Daniel P.K. Lun, Tommy C.L. Chan, Tai-Chiu Hsung, David D. Feng and Y.H. Chan, “Efficient Blind Image Restoration using Discrete Periodic Radon Transform,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing. vol. 13, no.2, pp.188-200, Feb. 2004.
- Tai-Chiu Hsung, Daniel Daniel P.K. Lun, Tai-Chiu Hsung and T.W. Shen, “Orthogonal Discrete Periodic Radon Transform Part I: Theory and Realization,” Signal Processing (EURASIP), Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, vol. 83, no. 5, pp.941-955, May 2003.
- Daniel P.K. Lun, Tai-Chiu Hsung and T.W. Shen, “Orthogonal Discrete Periodic Radon Transform Part II: Applications,” Signal Processing (EURASIP), Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, vol. 83, no. 5, pp.957-971, May 2003.
- Pak-Kong Lun, and Wan-Chi Siu, “The Discrete Periodic Radon Transform,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 44, no. 10, pp.2651-2657, 1996.
Tomography, Speech enhancement, 3D reconstruction and others
- Budianto, P. K. D. Lun, and Tai-Chiu Hsung, “Marker encoded fringe projection profilometry for efficient 3D model acquisition,” Applied Optics, vol. 53, issue 31, pp.7442-7453, 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/AO.53.007442
- Daniel Pak-Kong Lun, Tak-Wai Shen, Tai-Chiu Hsung, Dominic K.C. Ho, “Wavelet based speech presence probability estimator for speech enhancement,” Digital Signal Processing, Elsevier, vol.22, issue 6, pp.1161–1173, Dec. 2012. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.dsp.2012.06.011.
- Tai-Chiu Hsung, Daniel Pak-Kong Lun and William W.L. Ng, “Efficient fringe image enhancement based on dual-tree complex wavelet transform,” Applied Optics, vol. 50, issue 21, pp.3973-3986, 2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/AO.50.003973
- K. Cheuk, T.C. Hsung, and Daniel P.K. Lun, “Design and Implementation of Contractual Based Real-time Scheduler for Multimedia Streaming Proxy Server,” Multimedia Tools and Applications, vol.28, pp.69-88, 2006.
- Tommy C.L. Chan, Tai-Chiu Hsung and Daniel P.K. Lun, “Improved MPEG-4 Still Texture Image Coding Under Noisy Environment,” IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 12, no. 5, pp.500-508, 2003.
- Tai-Chiu Hsung and Daniel Pak-Kong Lun, “A new sampling scheme for the region-of-interest tomography,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 48, no. 4, pp.1154-1163, 2000.