(Jun 2017) IIDS Workshop Series in Data Science and Machine Learning Applications (19-20 Jun 2017 HKPC, 21-22 Jun 2017 CHCHE)
The project organizes a four-day workshop which consists of daily lectures and seminars in the area of data science and machine learning. Leading scholars, computer science experts and IT professionals from local institutions or foreign institutions will be invited as guest speakers. The topics to be discussed in the workshops cover latest advances in Data Science and Machine Learning Applications. The rapid development of high network infrastructure, database technology and high performance computing in the past decade made Data Science become one of the popular research field in computer science. In order to extract knowledge after acquiring large amount of data, the data science system engages artificial intelligence to analyze and extract useful information from the data. Machine learning is also a popular research field in computer science. This project brings together academic scientists and IT professionals to exchange and share experiences and research outcomes in Data Science and Machine Learning.
About 13 speakers from local and overseas Institutions were invited.
- Dacheng TAO, Professor, School of Information Technologies, The University of Sydney, Australlia
- Francis CHIN Yuk Lun, Chair Professor, Head of Department of Computing, School of Humanities & Social Science, Hang Seng Management College,HK
- TSOI Ah Chung, Adjunct Professor, School of Computing and Information Sciences, University of Wollongong
- Franco SCARSELLI, Professor, University of Siena, Department of Information Engineering and Mathematics
- L.M.PO, Associate Professor, Dept. of Electronic Engineering, City University of Hong Kong
- Michael NG Kwok-Po, Chair Professor in Mathematics, Chair Professor (Affiliate) of Dept. of Computer Science, Hong Kong Baptist University
- Alex LEUNG Po, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Information Technology, Macau University of Science and Technology
- Alessandro SPERDUTI, Professor, Dipartiment of Mathematics, PADOVA University, ITALY, UNIVERSITA DEGLI STUDI DI PADOVA, ITALY
- Zheru CHI, Associate Professor, Dept. of Electronic & Information Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Daniel P.K. LUN, Associate Professor and Interim Head, Dept. of Electronic & Information Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Richard T.C.Hsung, Honorary Assistant Professor, discipline of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong
- Markus HAGENBUCHNER, Associate Professor, School of Computing and Information Sciences, University of Wollongong. Australlia
- Dr Bonnie N. F. LAW, Associate Professor, Dept. of Electronic & Information Engineering, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
IIDS Workshop Day 1 & 2
Date: 19-20 JUN 2017
Place: Theatre 1, HKPC Building, Hong Kong.
The target audience includes research students, research staff and academic staff from local institutions. The number of attendances for the first two days workshop was about 50.
- Current Development of Machine Learning Research
- Applications of Machine Learning Research
- Current Development of Data Science Research
- Applications of Data Science Research
IIDS Students Workshop Day 2 & 3
Date: 21-22 JUN 2017
Place: M03, East Wing, Chu Hai College of Higher Educations.
The workshops of last two days were for undergraduate students, academic and academic staff of local institutions. The number of attendance for the last two days students workshop was about 35.
This seminar is fully supported by a grant from the Research Grants Council of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, China (Project Reference No.: UGC/IIDS13/E02/16, Principal Investigator: Prof LO Wai-lun (Chu Hai))
1. LI Shengyan, Senior Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science,\ Chu Hai College of Higher Education
2. Pascal ZHANG, Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science,\ Chu Hai College of Higher Education
3. W.L.LO, Head of Department of Computer Science, Chu Hai College of Higher Education
- Introduction to Neural Network
- Introduction to Object Tracking in Video
- Introduction to Fuzzy logic system in machine learning